Sunday, January 8, 2012

Tomato, Avocado, and Millet Salad

I have been going through a journey of sorts lately related to some health problems that I have been having. I have had to reevaluate what I eat if I want to be healthier in all areas of my life. My mom has had to go through something similar and because of her problems, is on a very strict diet that is gluten and dairy free. She had sent me some information at the end of 2010 regarding some of my problems, and I read through it, but was not serious enough to want to start anything. I couldn't wrap my head around it and frankly I was scared. Scared I was not going to be able to eat what I wanted. Scared that I was going to be on this bland diet eating nothing but salads all day, every day, and I really didn't want to. But then, with a flare-up again at the end of August, I made the decision to follow this diet to the tee. I was off of all sugars, refined and processed foods, and anything that could be broken down into sugars in my body. It was definitely hard, but I managed to lose a couple pounds. I felt wonderful; I felt healthy; I felt alive! Then, I fell off the wagon and started eating the not-sp-healthy things again. My girth increased, my slugishness returned and I was feeling rather blah. After a calorie and sugar laden holiday season, I am trying very hard to return to that point of healthy. One of the things I have discovered is this awesome salad. I love it!! It is very filling, and I love all the fresh ingredients. It is a snap to whip up and is a wonderfully, light dinner.

Tomato, Avocado, and Millet Salad
Adapted from a recipe found on the Candida diet
1 cup millet, cooked and cooled slightly
1 avocado
1 Roma tomato or 15 cherry tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBSP olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
Few sprigs of cilantro, chopped

Peel, seed and chop the avocado. Chop the tomato into bite-sized pieces or halve the cherry tomatoes. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and toss to coat. Enjoy!

Yields 2 side-salad portions or one dinner sized portion

0 comments: